Network Systems Engineer
Company: Northland Communications Company
Posted on: October 21, 2019
Northland has been consistently ranked as a great place to
JOB SUMMARY:The Network Systems Engineer manages and develops our
network and system infrastructure to ensure reliable and efficient
services. This position works with multiple departments within the
company to put us in the best position to develop, sell, install
and support our products.
NETWORK SYSTEMS ENGINEER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain expertise in the technical operation of all Northland
products and services
- Lead or participate in projects that create new products or
- Assist with establishing and updating standard operating
procedures in line with network and product changes
- Participate in the planning and execution of quarterly
- Maintain Network Monitoring Systems
- Maintain and implement best practices to ensure the security of
all Northland assets
- Assist with the sales, quoting and provisioning of advanced
services including colocation, SD-WAN, web hosting, and MPLS
- Maintain hardware and software systems that provide services
such as including DNS, Radius, Mail servers, Web hosting, Microsoft
Exchange, Microsoft Active Directory and Microsoft SQL
- Maintain network hardware infrastructure including Cisco,
Calix, and Metaswitch.
- Perform regular network capacity planning and recommend
solutions in advance
- Implement systems, changes, and recommendations that ensure
100% network core uptime
- Provide technical support to other departments or customers as
- Maintain and implement best practices that ensure we have a
network that can be supported in the most efficient manner
- On call rotation responsibilities with other team members.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- BS/BA degree or 5 or more years of relevant experience.
- Proven customer service and problem-solving skills, working
over the phone and on-site with customers and employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively both written and orally,
including the ability to flex based on other communication
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to develop a rapport with people within and outside the
company, and engage with people in a manner that provides a
- Experience and expertise in Linux, Microsoft Windows Server
products 2008 and 2012, Exchange 2010 and 2013, and related
technologies such as DNS, DHCP, backup systems, email systems,
virus protection, desktop operating systems, etc.
- Detailed theoretical and practical knowledge of IP protocols,
firewalls, and routers.
- Experience configuring, installing, and troubleshooting
centralized network infrastructure such as routers, hubs, switches,
- VMware, MCSE, SonicWALL, CCNA, CCNP, Linux experience or
- Basic power and electronics concepts.
- Basic programming and scripting (sh, php, perl)
- Ability to explain and document complex technical subjects with
concise and simple terms
- Ability to understand business operations and finances
- Ability to bethink objectively and independently and be
self-motivated when considering efficient and creative ways to
- Ability to follow-through with meeting time-frames and
associated deadlines, including the ability to move past obstacles
using internal/external resources to achieve results
- Ability to be self-directed with organizing, planning, and
prioritizing workload, which includes the ability to make decisions
when adjustments need to be made based on achieving deadlines
Keywords: Northland Communications Company, Utica , Network Systems Engineer, Other , Syracuse, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!