Molding Engineer III
Company: CONMED Corporation
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Senior Molding Process Engineer
The Senior Molding Process Engineer applies plastics engineering
and principles to the design of tools, manufacturing process
development, documentation, and testing for molded parts.
Development of responsibilities for this position will include
Molding Operations line support activities as well as product /
process improvements including cost reductions in the manufacturing
process, support new product transfers to manufacturing, including
tools transfers, support in the technology development in
accordance with company strategies, support the transfer of
manufacturing methods and or technologies within the company and or
external business partners, develop and maintain all manufacturing
documentation / work instructions. Demonstrated knowledge in Design
for Manufacturability, Lean Methodologies / Tools, Design of
Experiments (DOE), Statistical Process Control (SPC), and product
and process characterizations. Development of Process Failure Mode
Effect Analysis (pFMEA) during manufacturing process development
and change. Investigates product failures and develops methods to
prevent recurrence. This role will require timely update to the
management team and other cross functional team. Performs capacity
analysis of molding machines and molds and make recommendation for
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop, qualify, and validate injection molding and ancillary
processes/tooling for new precision parts/molds.
- Support existing products with sustaining process engineering
for a 40+ machine captive molding operation including
troubleshooting material, tooling, process, and equipment
- Establish work instructions, proper Moldability ranges,
manufacturing procedures, and quality control input.
- Assist in procuring new and replacement tooling.
- Assist in procuring related equipment including molding
machines and developing capital budgets.
- Assist in developing new plastic parts from a "Design for
Manufacture" point of view, including material
- Execute cost reduction and continuous improvement
- Quote part and tooling costs including budget estimates.
- Execute part change orders.
- Lead process/tooling training programs, especially with mold
- Assist in mold transfer programs.
- Write reports to management.
- Report directly to the Engineering Manager, and indirectly to
for new products.
- Bachelors of Science in Engineering (Plastic or Mechanical)
Preferred. Associates Degree Required.
- 7 years minimum plastics process engineering and five years
minimum tooling experience in a precision/cosmetic injection
molding plant (preferably medical products, especially
- Technical injection molding process and tooling skills (see
- Detailed understanding of plastic part design, polymer
materials, tooling, equipment (preferably including some
automation), processing, validations (preferably medical), writing
and communication skills.
- Clear understanding of what it takes to injection mold quality
parts, including equipment capability.
- Self-motivated, Proven team player with ability to technically
lead and teach.
- Assist Molding Technicians and Quality personnel with any
process and/or manufacturing related issues and promote the "Zero"
- Excellent organizational and technical communication skills.
Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects to meet changing
- Keep up to date with current molding technologies through
seminars, magazine, trade shows etc.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent healthcare including medical, dental, vision and
- Short & long term disability plus life insurance -- cost paid
fully by CONMED
- Retirement Savings Plan (401K) -- company match dollar for
dollar up to 7% Employee stock purchase plan -- allows stock
purchases at discounted price.Tuition assistance for undergraduate
and graduate level courses
CONMED is an Equal Opportunity Employer & an Affirmative Action
Employer. CONMED is a strong advocate of workforce diversity. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
If you feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the
ADA, you are encouraged to contact us at 800-325-5900 option
Keywords: CONMED Corporation, Utica , Molding Engineer III, Other , Utica, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!