Informatics Analyst I/II/III/IV - 014959
Company: Excellus BlueCross BlueShield
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Under the direction of Assigned Management, the Informatics
Analyst has the responsibility for the extraction and development
of complex reports and/or analysis with summaries and
recommendations on findings. Monitors and measures health care
trends, outcomes and business processes using data mining
techniques, statistical techniques, (i.e., control charting) and
additional business intelligence technologies.
At the higher levels, the position supplies management with (1)
the statistical information needed to make informed decisions, (2)
the identification of trends, and (3) the use of data mining
techniques and development of advanced predictive models.
- Understands analytic processes and tools such as Excel, Access,
COGNOS and SAS. Develops on-going knowledge of Health Plan's varied
data sources and structures to independently take in business
requirements, design and execute on requests.
- Understands and describes the provision of health care and
identifies adverse trends and unusual practice patterns.
- Participates in work teams with other staff in the Health
Informatics Department, prepares, develops, analyzes utilization,
quality and medical expense data. Ensures that all data are
accurate and that the results are provided in a timely manner.
- Participates in problem-solving and investigation, analyses,
special projects and research projects as requested.
- Using SAS Software or other appropriate analytic tools and
established SAS/SQL programming practices and methodology, defines
and develops reporting and analytic solutions including routine
reports and analyses, data mining, predictive analytics, stored
processes, macros, cubes, dashboards, etc. to support customer
requirements and Health Plan business strategies.
- Participates in reviewing and evaluating emerging trends in
Healthcare and considers/recommends appropriate Health Informatics
applications and process changes.
- Assists in identifying cost containment and quality improvement
opportunities and makes recommendations to customers for further
- Organizes and prioritizes tasks, proposes work assignments so
as to successfully complete projects in a timely manner.
- Manages multiple projects with competing deadlines to
- Consistently demonstrates high standards of integrity by
supporting the Lifetime Healthcare Companies' mission and values
and adhering to the Corporate Code of Conduct, and Leading to the
Lifetime Way values and beliefs.
- Maintains high regard for member privacy in accordance with the
corporate privacy policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
- Performs other functions as assigned by management.
Level II - performs similar functions as Level I, as well
- Trains and mentors fellow analysts as directed by
- Participates on departmental and Health Plan project teams and
recommends and/or develops comprehensive data strategies for
optimal SAS/BI Tool utilization and connectivity with other BI
- Handles more complex requests (e.g. evaluating new provider
payment arrangement or care management activities) and provides
more in depth analytic results and recommendations to
- Integrates visual analytic techniques into reporting to enhance
end users understanding of information.
- Collects/analyzes and presents data as information (tell a
story) and makes concise recommendations to customers involving
simple and complex problems.
- Devises strategy for producing deliverables, selecting and
utilizing the most appropriate analytic tool, as well as, to begin
to build process efficiencies.
Level III - performs similar functions as Level I and II, as
- Reviews and evaluates emerging trends in healthcare and
considers/recommends appropriate Health Informatics applications
- Recommends innovative program designs to support Health
Informatics operational processes and customer needs.
- Contributes to innovative quantitative models that reduce costs
and/or improve growth/profitability of the organization.
- Acts in a consultative capacity for the business to help
business units define analytics that drive business
- Serves as member of advanced analytic workgroup to prepare data
sets for mining and predictive modeling activities.
- Provides expertise in relational database concepts to
Informatics areas, as well as, customers.
- Seeks out opportunities to train and mentor fellow analysts
within the framework of the department.
- Demonstrates keen judgment on involved and complex assignments;
devises methods and procedures to meet unusual conditions and makes
original contributions to the solution of very difficult problems.
Problem solving is complex and involves critical issues.
- Explores data and performs advanced programming and statistical
analysis/support for ad hoc requests.
- Provides statistical guidance and alignment in developing
Health Plan strategic initiatives.
- Provides oversight and guidance of reporting and data
collection methodology and processes.
Level IV - performs similar functions as Level I, II, and III,
as well as:
- Recommends to leadership advanced analytic models and/or
research that financially (potentially sizably) impact pricing,
cost containment, quality, marketing and risk management
- Develops large, complex advanced analytic models and performs
data mining functions to identify trends in the data and/or
opportunities for improved outcomes.
- Improves visual analytics throughout the organization.
- Interacts with Health Plan leadership to interpret model output
and make business inferences that address strategic needs.
- May work on multiple predictive models simultaneously.
- Assesses need and opportunity for upgrades to existing or new
analytic products (i.e. SAS or Cognos products).
- Prepares and submits studies for journal publication or
presentation at national meetings.
We include multiple levels of classification differentiated by
demonstrated knowledge, skills, and the ability to manage
increasingly independent and/or complex assignments, broader
responsibility, additional decision making, and in some cases,
becoming a resource to others. In addition to using this
differentiated approach to place new hires, it also provides
guideposts for employee development and promotional
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Medical
Informatics, Economics, or related field with a minimum of two
years' experience in data or information analysis and
- Moderate knowledge of relational DBs and extracting information
from them (i.e. using SAS, Cognos, SPSS, or similar tool).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of basic statistical concepts and have strong
analytical and problem solving skills with attention to
- Demonstrates intermediate understanding of healthcare products
and operational business knowledge.
- Demonstrated analytic abilities combined with capabilities for
completing projects with minimum degree of supervision.
- Knowledge of the health care system and experience working with
physician or hospital claims data preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with aptitude
for communicating to a variety of audiences.
- High degree of initiative, proactive attitude and commitment to
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with internal and
external customers. Adaptable to constant industry change and
rapidly changing priorities.
- Willingness to solicit and respond to customer feedback.
Level II - similar minimum qualifications to Level I, as well
- A minimum of three years' analytic experience in Healthcare
industry. Master's degree preferred.
- Knowledge of advance statistical concepts and has strong
analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with internal and
external customers with particular strength translating user
information needs into requirements and delivering high quality
- Must have the ability to work with large datasets (2TB or
greater) and integrate large data across multiple sources
(structured and unstructured).
- Strong PC/programming skills including Microsoft Excel, Access,
Word, PowerPoint, VBA, SQL, Power Play and Impromptu and moderate
proficiency in SAS required.
- Strong analytical, diagnostic, and problem solving abilities
with attention to detail.
- Ability to quickly develop expertise in new application domains
and analytic tools.
- Consistently demonstrated high quality and accuracy of
- Good self-motivation, initiative, and an ability to perform
under pressure with little supervision.
Level III - similar minimum qualifications to Level II, as well
- A minimum of five years' experience using statistical concepts
and tools. Master's Degree with at least two years of statistical
- Demonstrated expertise in relational database concepts.
- Demonstrates advanced statistical capabilities, data mining,
forecasting and predictive modeling skills, and/or actuarial
- Demonstrated skills in quality principles especially root cause
analysis and problem solving.
- Demonstrated business and technical problem solving
- Extensive experience in analytic tools required (i.e. SAS,
Cognos, SPSS, or others).
Level IV - similar minimum qualifications to Level III, as well
- A minimum of three years' health care specific predictive
modeling experience or seven years' of experience in health
- MS or MA in Statistics, Economics or related discipline
- Ability to create, develop/validate models independently.
- SAS Base Certification required within 12 months of hire or
promotion into position. SAS Advanced Certification preferred or
similar Analytic Software certification.
- Project Management/Process Improvement knowledge
- Continued professional growth in analytic software tools(i.e.
SAS competency as evidenced by successful passing of Advanced
Certification Exam and/or Certified Predictive Modeler Exam )
- Project Management (PMP, Six Sigma) experience desired.
- Advanced analytic software programming proficiency required
(i.e. experience with SAS EBI suite - Information Maps, Stored
Processes, Web Report Studio, Information Delivery Portal).
The Lifetime Healthcare Companies aim to attract the best talent
from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and experiential backgrounds,
to diversify our workforce and best reflect the communities we
Our mission is to foster an environment where diversity and
inclusion are explicitly recognized as fundamental parts of our
organizational culture. We believe that diversity of thought and
background drives innovation which enables us to provide
leading-edge healthcare insurance and services. With that mission
in mind, we recruit the best candidates from all communities, to
diversify and strengthen our workforce.
OUR COMPANY CULTURE:
Employees are united by our Lifetime Way Values & Behaviors that
include compassion, pride, excellence, innovation and having fun!
We aim to be an employer of choice by valuing workforce diversity,
innovative thinking, employee development, and by offering
competitive compensation and benefits.
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job
description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications
deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: Excellus BlueCross BlueShield, Utica , Informatics Analyst I/II/III/IV - 014959, Other , Utica, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!